Bruno Mars and I are now friends

This has never happened to me before. Well, ok, it has, but never in such a short time period.

About a month ago, I posted the following on a social networking site: first, a link to the Bruno Mars track "Marry You" (check it out here), then several comments expressing my disdain and extreme dislike of the song - the idiotic lyrics, the irritating catchiness, my disappointment in the artist for releasing a track like this considering most of his others were tolerable, if not enjoyable. I made it very clear that there was nothing I liked about it. At all.

It was played repeatedly on radio stations in Berlin, which annoyed me no end, and even when I travelled to Australia for my sister's wedding, I could not escape it. Bruno Mars had the local radio stations in the palm of his hand, and this song seemed to be by far the most popular. It drove me up the wall.

Gradually I reached the point where resistance was futile. This has happened before, especially with songs that suit multiple radio stations' playlists. Examples include Nickelback, U2, Snow Patrol, and others. Their music suits the cheesiness of Mix1011, can be played on Fox or Nova (only within the first week of release), are also rock enough to suit TripleM's blokey playlist, and in the case of U2, they have been around long enough to be classified as a "golden oldie".
[Disclaimer: I am in no way admitting to being a Nickelback fan.] Bruno Mars wasn't getting airtime on Triple M or Gold, but Nova, Mix and Fox were playing not only this track but also umpteen others often enough to more than make up for it.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I'd reached a place where I could listen to the entire song without diving for the tuner dial or preset button on the radio, or even lowering the volume. We were civil with each other.

Then came my sister's wedding. The meal was over, the cake had been cut, everyone had had a few drinks and the cheesy dance tracks were coming thick and fast from my sister's iPod playlist. Footloose, various Kylie tracks, stuff I didn't know... then it happened. Bruno Mars. Suddenly it seemed to fit. Everyone was up there: my sister grooving away in her stunning gown, my mum, my cousin carrying her little boy, my other three cousins in their heels and short dresses, and even my aunts and uncles. It had to be done. I knew the melody. I definitely knew the words (from all those forced listenings). I found myself striding in the direction of the dancefloor and before I knew it, I was grooving away and singing along to Bruno Mars "Marry You" like it was my favourite song, having the time of my life, and having conveniently forgotten my previous comments.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I found myself listening to his album for hours on end on the plane ride back, while competing in an in-flight tetris tournament with someone in 13A. Somehow, within the space of a month, I have become a Bruno Mars fan. Ugh... :)

*By the way, I'm back. :)

No comments: